Tuesday 1 April 2014

Flavours bring back memories

It's been far to long since my last post, so I thought I would blog up something that I love... Food!!!

I stumbled across this recipe from my childhood, well actually my Mum found it in her recipe cupboard a few weeks ago...

It's funny how putting the ingredients together, the smells created in the kitchen and the tasting on the tongue can bring back memories. I picked up this recipe around 26 years ago at Prospect Electricity in Penrith. They used to hold cooking classes for kids during the school holidays. We picked up many recipes along the way and learned some great culinary skills too. Turns out my wife also attended these classes unbeknownst to me.

I thought that this recipe being one of my favourites from back then might still hold its own. It certainly does, especially when all of the family are asking for seconds. Anyway, give it a go and let me know what you think.

Zucchini topped lasagne


Ingredients

  • 2 Tbsp Oil
  • 1 Chopped Onion
  • 1 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
  • 1/2 Kg Minced beef
  • 1 Can whole tomotoes 425g
  • 1 tsp Italian herbs
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp Pepper
  • 6 Lasagne sheets
  • 1 Sour cream 300g
  • 3 Zucchinis Small & grated
  • 1 Cup Shredded Cheese
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp Pepper

Directions

  1. Heat oil. Sauté onion & garlic. Add mince, brown well
  2. Add tomatoes, herbs, salt & pepper. Simmer 20 minutes. Add mushrooms & grated carrots if desired.
  3. Place 2 sheets of lasagne into 20cm deep baking dish or 2 1/2 sheets into 10 cm Pyrex dish. Top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat. Top with remaining lasagne sheets.
  4. Combine sour cream, egg, zucchini, cheese, extra salt & pepper. Mix well. Pour over lasagne sheets.
  5. Bake in an electric oven 190, fan forced 180 (375 F) for 35-40 minutes. Serve with tossed salad.
  6. If doubling recipe, increase cooking time in oven to 60 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment